is a Midwestern U.S. state located in the Great Plains region. It has an area of 56,273 square miles (145,745 sq km), and its population was estimated to be 3,190,369 in 2020, with projections of reaching up to 3,200,517 by 2022. The capital city is Des Moines and the state is bordered by Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, and South Dakota. It is traversed by the Des Moines River from northwest to southeast and its eastern border follows the Mississippi River, while the Missouri River and the Big Sioux River make up its western boundary.
Nicknamed the “Hawkeye State” or the “Corn State,” Iowa became a member of the United States on December
28, 1846. Its motto is “Our Liberties We Prize and Our Rights We Will Maintain” and it has adopted the Eastern Goldfinch as its official state bird and the Wild Prairie Rose as its state flower. Its state song is "The Song of Iowa." The state is represented in the House of Representatives by five voting members. Its time zone is Central (GMT -6 hours).
- Iowa Wild - official website of the Iowa Wild, a professional ice hockey team based in Des Moines
- City of Des Moines - official website for the City of Des Moines, serving more than 214,000 residents and 52 neighborhoods in Iowa's capital city
- Des Moines Performing Arts - provides a variety of performing arts events and educational programs
- Des Moines Art Center - a modern and contemporary art museum in Des Moines offering free admission
- Des Moines University - des Moines University is among the nation’s best medical schools and health science universities, committed to helping aspiring medical and health care professionals